The Hillsdale County Sheriff's Office offers safety training programs for the public and has many state certified instructors to provide a solid base of instruction for deputies from our department as well as the surrounding agencies of the City of Hillsdale, the Village of Jonesville, the City of Reading, the City of Litchfield and the Somerset Township Police Departments.
These deputies in turn offer training to the public each year to promote safe practices in areas such as firearms, marine and boater safety and hunter safety. For specific information, please read more about each program or contact the Sheriff's department at (800) 437-7317 and ask for the training office.
- Boater Safety Classes are for ALL Ages and Free of Charge (Courtesy of Hillsdale County Sheriff's Office).
- Classes are from 9:00 A.M. - 4:30 P.M. Registration begins at 8:30 A.M. No advance registration is required. Class size may be limited by space. There WILL BE NO LATE ADMITTANCE.
- Students will earn their certification in one day.
WHO NEEDS THE CLASS?
Anyone born ON or AFTER July 1, 1996 may operate a boat leagally only if they possess a Boating Safety Certificate and have it in their possession. Those who are 14 or 15 years of age may operate a Personal Watercraft (PWC) legally ONLY if they have obtained a Boating Safety Certificate and:
- He or she is accompanied by his or her parent or legal guardian or by a person at least 21 years of age who has been designated by the parent of legal guardian OR
- He or she is operating or riding the PWC at a distance of not more than 100 feet from his or her parent or legal guardian or from a person at least 21 years of age who has been designated by the parent or legal guardian.
Those at least 16 years of age AND born AFTER December 31, 1978, may operate a PWC legally only if they have obtained a Boating Safety Certificate, and it is on board the boat.
Note: Online classes are available through the DNR website http://www.mi.gov/dnr. A fee of approximately $30.00 may be charged. You are no longer required to take a proctored exam to earn your certificate.
2017 Boater Safety Class Schedule
- June 3, 2017
Lakeview United Bretheren Church, Merry Lake
4616 E. Territorial Rd, Camden, MI 49232
(1/2 mile west of M-99 on Territorial Road)
Bring a sack lunch
Please contact the Sheriff's Office at (517) 437-7317 and ask Sergeant Scott Keller for more details about our Boater Safety classes.
All Concealed Pistol training classes are held at the Reading Emergency Unit Training Facility, 30 Monroe Street Hillsdale, MI (Google Maps directions). The cost is $75.00 for residents of Hillsdale County and $100.00 for non-residents. All classes are held 8:00 A.M. - 5:00 P.M. Registration forms are available at the Hillsdale County Sheriff's Office. Pre-Registration is required for attendance.
Our Classes are taught by Michigan Certified Law Enforcement Officers and Firearms Instructors.
If you need more information, you may call the Sheriff's Office at (517) 437-7317.
Note: Payment and registration must be received by the Hillsdale County Sheriff's Office to reserve your space in the class.
CPL (Concealed Pistol License) Classes for 2017:
- April 29, 2017
- June 24, 2017
- August 26, 2017
- October 28, 2017
Questions concerning these classes can be directed to Sgt. John Reed at 437-7317 ext 323.