Hours of operation are Monday through Friday
8:00 a.m. - 12:00 midnight
The Hillsdale County Sheriff's Office issues over 1,300 handgun permits and over 400 Concealed Pistol Licenses each year. Owning a firearm comes with great responsibility on your part to safeguard your welfare as well as the welfare of others when operating a firearm. There is no cost to obtain a Purchase Permit/Registration.
- Qualifications - To legally own and use a firearm, you must meet the following criteria:
- You must be at least 21 years of age, or you must be at least 18 years of age if you are purchasing the firearm from a Non-FFL Dealer.
- If you have ever been convicted of a felony, you will not be eligible.
- If you have any criminal cases pending against you or old cases without a court disposition, you will not be eligible.
- If you have any court orders that state you may not purchase or own a firearm, you will not be eligible.
PA Act 377 Took Effect December 18, 2012
Individuals may apply for a License to Purchase at any Police Agency in the State that issues LTP forms.
The License to purchase is valid for 30 days instead of the 10 day period.
If an individual purchases a pistol from a FFL dealer a ( purchase permit) LTP is no longer required. A direct sale will occur at the licensed agent. Dealers will perform the instant background check.
If you wish to obtain a License to Purchase, You must present valid picture identification showing your current address. We will not accept expired identifications.
You must be a Michigan resident for at least 90 days before you apply.
- Purchase Permits
- To purchase a pistol, you must first come into the Sheriff's Office to obtain a Purchase Permit.
- You will need to show a valid picture I.D.
- We will do a background check to verify that you meet all the qualifications.
- Once you have been approved, you will be issued a Purchase Permit. This is a three (3) part form. Section 1 is for your records. Section 2 is for the Seller's records. Section 3 is for the State of Michigan. You will have ten (30) days from the date you are issued your permit to obtain your handgun.
- Once you have obtained your gun, you have an additional ten (10) days to send in or drop off the MSP Copy of the Purchase Permit . If you do not return these forms to our office within ten (10) days of purchasing your firearm, you will need to re-apply for a Purchas Permit.
- Safety Inspections/Registration
- As of January 7, 2009, the State of Michigan no longer requires gun owners to have their firearms Safety Inspected. As referred to in the paragraph above, once you return the MSP Copy of our Purchase Permit to the Sheriff's Office, we will record your information and automatically register your firearm with the State of Michigan.
- FOR MORE INFORMATION ON THE NEW FIREARMS REGISTRATION LAWS, PLEASE CONTACT THE STATE OF MICHIGAN FIREARMS UNIT.
- Concealed Pistol License (CPL)- You can obtain a Concealed Pistol License (CPL) Application Packet from the Sheriff's Office, the County Clerk's office or online on the Michigan State Police web site.
- CPL New Applicants
- Take required training course (8 hours) by a Certified Instructor.
- Bring your completed UNSIGNED application with the following items to the Hillsdale County Clerk's Office:
- Original Training Certificate
- Valid photo I.D. with current address.
- Passport quality photo or your CPL photograph can be taken in the Clerk's office at no additional fee.
- $105.00 fee payable by cash or check (Check payable to: Hillsdale County Clerk)
- Take your paid receipt to the Hillsdale County Jail during posted hours to have your fingerprints taken for no additional fee (Fingerprinting Hours). Note: The Sheriff's Office WILL NOT fingerprint you without your receipt.
- CPL New Applicants
Your application will be reviewed by the Concealed Weapons Licensing Board. Upon approval, you will receive your Concealed Pistol License by mail following the Concealed Weapons Licensing Board meeting. If you have any questions regarding the CPL New Applicant process, please contact the Hillsdale County Clerk's Office at 517-437-3391.
- CPL Renewal Applicants
- CPL Renewal Applicants
NOTE: Renewals cannot be processed before 6 months prior to expiration of your current Concealed Pistol License.
- Complete 3 hours of review of the required training and have at least 1 hour of firing range time in the 6 months immediately preceding renewal. The Hillsdale County Concealed Weapons Licensing Board recommends that you contact your previous instructor, or any firearms instructor, for more detailed information.
- Submit your completed UNSIGNED application with the following items to the Hillsdale County Clerk's Office:
- Valid picture I.D. with current address.
- Previous CPL license.
- $105.00 fee payable by cash or check (Check payable to: Hillsdale County Clerk).
- If you were previously fingerprinted after the date of January 1, 2006, you will not need to be reprinted. The State of Michigan will review your existing fingerprints that they have on file.
- Your application will be reviewed by the Concealed Weapons Licensing Board. Upon approval, you will receive your new Concealed Pistol License by mail following the Concealed Weapons Licensing Board meeting. If you have any questions regarding the CPL Renewal Applicant process, please contact the Hillsdale County Clerk's Office at 517-437-3391.