With the arrival of the fall season, Sheriff Stan Burchardt would like to remind everyone to be more aware of the deer population on the move in our county. A deer-vehicle crash may be unavoidable, but staying alert and aware while driving can increase your safety on the road.
- Seat belts do save lives and can lessen serious injury in a collision.
- Texting or drinking alcohol while driving greatly decreases your awareness of potential roadway dangers.
- Deer crossing signs can alert you to higher deer population areas.
- Deer stick together - if you see one, there are likely more nearby.
- Deer are especially on the move at dawn and dusk.
- If a crash is unavoidable, a controlled stop is better than swerving or slamming your brakes.
Click here for more Autumn Driving Safety Tips on Michigan's Department of Transportation web site.